Saturday, 15 February 2014

SMOULDERING EMBERS



Clearly embers continue to smoulder from John MacArthur’s Strange Fire Conference a few months back.

For my part, whilst I thought MacArthur’s approach was both ungracious and unbalanced, it did at least create a debate about the spiritual gifts which I thought went rather well for those of us in the Continuationist camp.

 It was remarkable for me to see so many men noted for their sound approach to the scriptures suddenly fall back upon eisegesis and tradition in defence of their cessationism. Some of the biggest names out there tried their hand at it, but I can genuinely say I didn't encounter a single convincing argument from the scriptures to justify the belief that the gifts have ceased.

We are going through the 1 Corinthians 12 gifts in a monthly Bible study at church throughout this year so expect this to be a subject I return to at a later date.